FLIPPED: Session 2
SESSION TITLE: Stuck
BOTTOM LINE: Everything flips when you know you’re His child.
We’ve all been given a nickname at some point in our lives. Maybe your nickname is a name your parents gave you when you were little. Or maybe it’s just a shortened version of your real name. Or maybe your nickname has to do with something else—maybe, for good or bad, it has to do with what you look like, what you sound like, or something you once did. Some nicknames can be endearing, but others can be downright embarrassing. That’s because the things people call us are important to us, aren’t they? So what do we do when we find ourselves stuck with a name, reputation, or label that we’d like to get rid of? Who has the right to label us? And do we have the right to label other people? This week we’ll talk about a woman who was given a painful label and what Jesus did about it. As we do, we might just discover that, just like that woman, the way that God labels us has the power to change everything.
Watch the Teaching Video
Please do not share the link for this video with anyone. This is intended for use of PPCC students/parents only. Thank you.
Have some Discussion with parents/family/friends
S C R I P T U R E : “A large crowd followed and pressed around him. 25 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. 26 She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse.27 When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, 28 because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” 29 Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.
30 At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?”
31 “You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’ ”
32 But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. 33 Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. 34 He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”
MARK 5:24-34 (NIV)
- What’s a one-word label you’d love to have?
- Talk about a time when a label affected the way you saw yourself.
- Why do you think labels are so powerful?
- Think about the things you say to people in a given day—even when you’re joking. How do you think your words are affecting people? What if they believed everything you said?
- If God were labeling you right now, what do you think He would say about you?
- What’s one way someone’s life might change when they start believing that God’s labels for them are more important than anyone else’s?
- How would you treat others differently if you saw them the way God sees them?
Sign up to receive our weekly emails over on the right (or below), watch the video below for a preview of this series, and also get follow up resources by clicking here.